Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce

Another thing I recently started making is my own spaghetti sauce. Its amazing. Why I'd been buying jarred sauce for so many years is beyond me. I'll make a huge pot, and freeze over half of it (in dinner-size containers) so we can pull out sauce, boil some noodles, toss a salad, and have dinner!

Here's my recipe:
12oz italian sausage
2 T extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, chopped fine
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
(here you can add whatever veggies you want. I will throw in green and red bell pepper, carrot, celery, broccoli, etc. into my food processor to chop super fine)
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
dried basil
dried oregano

Saute meat and veggies in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and spices. Either cook on the stove in a dutch oven on low 2 hours or in crockpot on low 6-8 hours. Amazing on pasta or on pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment